Wednesday, October 21, 2015

2 months in Germany

Wow 2 months in Germany. Time really does fly by on exchange.
So I have started German high school. My first day of school I was so nervous. New school, new people, new country, and most important new language. The 4 week language course helped so much, but like I said in my last post 4 weeks does not make a person fluent. I am so happy I was able to do the language course before going to school because I am able to communicate better with my classmates. The first weeks of school has gone good so far though. Im making friends and with making friends it helps with the language. Speaking German with friends helps a lot. My favorite class right now of course is English because I actually have a clue about what is going on. Last week I took the English exam, and wow for me it was pretty hard. I can imagine how the students in the class feel for English being their second language. The exam was writing different essays on the text we had to read about Shakespeare. We had to write 3 different short essays for the exam. I am so happy because I will be able to go to Dublin, Ireland with my English class. The trip will be in June and Im already so excited.

This week 3 little kids came over to bake with my host mom and I. They kids had been wanting to bake with me since the moment they met me. Their dad printed out a big Europe map for me, and he had them bring it over. My host mom and I gave them some cake and we spoke German together, and I also taught them some English. They are young so they are in their first few years of learning English. They knew the basic things. When they were leaving my host mom said to them "Come over anytime and bake with Lindsey and I" they instantly said to her "Tomorrow?!" and she said to them "Maybe we will see". They went home telling their parents that they wanted to bake with us the next day. Their mom said to them "But you have things to do tomorrow" they said "No it doesn't matter we can skip it". They ended up coming the next week. We baked muffins. 96 muffins. Oops. We were making the batter and my host mom and I didn't think we had enough batter so we doubled the recipe. Well it was enough for 96 muffins. Lets just say the next few days we had a lot of muffins. The next day I got a drawing of myself from the little girl Luise who was baking with us. It was so sweet.

Right now my host family and I are hosting 2 girls from Egypt for 11 days. Each year the youth orchestra that has people from around 15-20 years old from all different countries come and be apart of their orchestra. They perform two concerts together. We are hosting Neam and Huda they are 19 and 20, so they are very close in age. The rehearsals for the concert are ALL day, so they never have free time, and even when they do have free time they are exhausted. Last night I went with them to a bowling event with the whole orchestra. It was super fun. The bowling was glow in the dark and each set of bowling pins glowed a different color. On Friday my host family and I will go to see their first concert. I am very excited to see how it is. Tonight there is a party on a cruise ship with the orchestra and the host families go so we will be going. I think it will be very fun.

Last weekend I went with my host mom, Rabea a friend from school, and her mom to an apple farm. It was a farm where you could pick as many apples as you wanted. Before we went in the farm, the workers weighed the whole car, and whenever we would come back they would weigh it again. So people could eat the apples but they would still have to pay for it because they would get weighed. We got so many apples. That night we made fried apples and they were so good.

On Monday night I went with some exchange friends to the Freimarkt. It is a free fair and it has been going on since 1035! So crazy! Each year it has about 4 million people going to it, and it is one of the biggest festivals in Northern Germany. They have many different rides and games. I was not there for long because I was out all day, but on Thursday I will go with some exchange friends and German friends.

Yesterday I went to the Klimahaus with my host dad in Bremerhaven which is a city about 45 minutes away from where I live. The Klimahaus is a museum where you feel different climates of different countries. It was so cool, and in the museum you could touch and do everything so it was good for kids and adults.

It is getting cold in Germany now. It has been between high 30's and 50's. One day all of a sudden it was cold and now its staying like this. Right now its 48. I always make sure to bundle up before I go out.

This Saturday I will go on my Germany tour. I am so excited to see Germany with all of the exchange students. Today I will start packing because today is the day I have free and the rest of the week I have no time. I am also on fall break so I have 2 weeks off of school. YAY :-) Gotta love breaks.

Okay thats it for now! I will try to update my blog when I get back from my Germany tour.


The 96 muffins we made!!!


Matilde from Italy. She lives right next to me so we hangout a lot :)



The drawing the little girl gave to me. So cute.



Enjoying a nice day in Bremen with Caroline.



At the apple farm with Rabea. 



So many apples!!!


At the Klimahaus in the Arctic. 


Bowling with Huda.



No comments:

Post a Comment